Selamat berpuasa! Hari Raya is coming in 3 weeks. Most Malay families have already started preparing cookies and cakes for this great season. Have you prepared any kuih raya to serve your guest? If not, no worries, you still have time to do it now. Here are some delicious recipes that we wanted to share with you! Do try it and leave your comments if you have any suggestion to improve further.
200 g butter
300g all-purpose flour
60g bran or any cereal (coarsely crushed)
30g corn flour/corn starch
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer till pale and creamy.
- Stir in the lightly beaten eggs. Fold in the flour mixture including corn flour. (Mixture must not stick to our hands when touched.)
- Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into the crushed cornflakes. Transfer them to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degree F or till golden brown.
320g all-purpose flour
80g corn flour or corn starch
1/4 tsp baking soda
120g fine sugar + 100 g brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp cocoa powder – optional
100g almond nibs (chopped almonds)
250g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200 degree C or 375 degree F.
- Combine flour, corn starch and baking soda in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and beat well. Gradually mix in the flour mixture.
- Stir in cocoa powder, chocolate chips and almond nibs. Use ¾ size spoon scoop out the dough onto a baking sheet or parchment paper.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on wire racks before serving.
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
500g plain flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda (using this will give the cracking effect)
170g icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Melt ghee over low heat or use the microwave oven for about 10-15secs and leave it to cool
- Add vanilla essence to cooled ghee
- Sift flour, bicarbonate soda, icing sugar and salt into mixing bowl
- Pour ghee mixture in flour mixture and knead well to form firm dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll dough into melt-in-your-mouth ball sizes and place on greased tray and bake for 25 – 30 minutes till cooked but not brown. The cookies should be white and crumbly in texture
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- Mix together all ingredients until well-blended.
- Roll 2-inch sized pieces of dough into balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten each with the back of a fork.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes until light brown. Let cool on wire rack.